Ascending Triangle Pattern
Learn to recognize and trade an ascending triangle pattern through interactive charts.
This blog is reader-supported. Please open a trading account through our links to buy us a coffee. Affiliate commissions keep our reviews impartial and ad-free.
What is an ascending triangle pattern?
An ascending triangle is a consolidation pattern in an uptrend. It points to accumulation as investors "buy the dip".
- USDJPY Ascending Triangle forex
- USDTRY Ascending Triangle forex
- Tron (TRXUSD) Ascending Triangle crypto
- Gold (GOLD) Ascending Triangle metals
- AMC Entertainment (AMC) Ascending Triangle stocks
- Meta Platforms (META) Ascending Triangle stocks
Ascending triangle duration
This pattern usually lasts between 1 and 3 months, but can unfold over longer periods of time.
Ascending triangle characteristics
An ascending triangle looks like a right-angle triangle.
- This pattern is a consolidation in an uptrend. Look for rising moving averages in the weeks and months preceding the pattern. However, the strength of the uptrend is less important than the soundness of the pattern itself.
- This pattern consists of a resistance line running through 2 or more recent highs, and of an upward-sloping trendline running through 2 or more higher lows.
- It's important that the lows through which the trendline runs rise over time, as this points to accumulation, with investors "buying the dip". The pattern won't be valid otherwise.
Trading volumes usually fall as this pattern takes shape.
Ascending triangle trading tips
Look for a breakout above the resistance line running through recent highs. Some traders wait for a successful retest of that line before opening a long position. It's preferable, but not essential, that the breakout happens on higher volume.
Trade 55 currency pairs, cryptocurrencies and CFDs on stocks, indices and commodities with market ... MoreTrade 55 currency pairs, cryptocurrencies and CFDs on stocks, indices and commodities with market execution. EagleFX supports all trading styles, including hedging and scalping on MT4.
- $10 deposit
- 1:500 leverage ?
- 0.7 pips EUR/USD
- Regulators: Dominica
Trade on raw spreads plus commissions through the Forex.com platform. Prices are sourced from top-... MoreTrade on raw spreads plus commissions through the Forex.com platform. Prices are sourced from top-tier liquidity providers. The more you trade, the lower your commissions.
- $100 deposit
- 1:50 leverage ?
- 0 pips EUR/USD
- Regulators: USA