Bump and Run Pattern
Learn to recognize and trade a bump and run pattern through interactive charts.
This blog is reader-supported. Please open a trading account through our links to tip us. Affiliate commissions keep our reviews impartial and ad-free.
What is a bump and run pattern?
A Bump and Run pattern is a bearish reversal pattern that happens after prices rise too far, too fast.
- GameStop (GME) Bump and Run stocks
- Xpeng (XPEV) Bump and Run stocks
- Moderna (MRNA) Bump and Run stocks
- Macy’s (M) Bump and Run stocks
Download our free chart patterns PDF for a guide to 20 classical chart patterns with over 100 interactive charts, also on TradingView.com.
Bump and run duration
A bump and run pattern usually unfolds over several months.
Bump and run characteristics
This pattern consists of three phases: the Lead-in, the Bump and the Run.
- Lead-in: this initial phase starts with a moderate uptrend, sloping upwards generally by 30 to 45 degrees. It should be neither too flat, nor too steep, and last at least one month.
- Bump: this phase marks an acceleration in the uptrend. The slope of the trendline should be approximately 50% greater than during the Lead-in, between 45 and 65 degrees in this case. This phase, driven by speculative excess, ends in a 'blow-off top'.
- Run: this phase begins when the price falls below the trendline formed by extending the Lead-in. Once the Lead-in trendline acts as resistance rather than support, the price is likely to fall lower.
Trading volumes generally accelerate during the Bump, pushing prices up into a blow-off top. Volumes may also spike as the price touches and ultimately breaks below the Lead-in trendline.
Bump and run trading tips
Wait for the price to break convincingly below the Lead-in trendline before opening a short position. This break should ideally happen on higher than average volumes. Some traders wait for an unsuccessful retest of the trendline before opening a short position. This means waiting for confirmation that the trendline acts as resistance, rather than support over several trading sessions.
MT5 Floating - Market Execution
Trade 70+ currency pairs, indices, energies and metals on floating spreads with market execution. ... MoreTrade 70+ currency pairs, indices, energies and metals on floating spreads with market execution. All EAs are allowed.
Trade CFDs on thousands of markets across Forex, crypto-currencies, stocks, indices and commodities... MoreTrade CFDs on thousands of markets across Forex, crypto-currencies, stocks, indices and commodities, on low spreads. Access free educational content, including 30+ courses and webinars.
- $20 deposit
- 1:100 leverage
- pips EUR/USD
- Regulators: Australia, Belarus, Cyprus (EU), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, UK
Trade 74 currency pairs and CFDs on stocks, oil, metals and crypto with leverage up to 1:500. 4XC ... MoreTrade 74 currency pairs and CFDs on stocks, oil, metals and crypto with leverage up to 1:500. 4XC allows all trading styles and all Expert Advisors on MetaTrader 4 and 5.