Falling Wedge Pattern
Learn to recognize and trade a falling wedge pattern through interactive charts.
This blog is reader-supported. Please open a trading account through our links to tip us. Affiliate commissions keep our reviews impartial and ad-free.
What is a falling wedge pattern?
A falling wedge, also known as a bullish wedge, is a reversal pattern that happens in a downtrend. It suggests that the current downtrend could end, even as prices make lower lows.
- Freeport McMoran (FCX) Falling Wedge stocks
- Amazon (AMZN) Falling Wedge stocks
- MicroStrategy (MSTR) Falling Wedge stocks
- WOO Network (WOOUSDT) Falling Wedge crypto
Download our free chart patterns PDF for a guide to 20 classical chart patterns with over 100 interactive charts, also on TradingView.com.
Falling wedge duration
A falling wedge pattern usually forms over 3 to 6 months.
Falling wedge characteristics
In a falling wedge pattern, prices move between downward sloping converging support and resistance lines.
- A falling wedge happens in a downtrend.
- Prices should make lower lows, bounded by a lower support line. They should touch support on at least two occasions, and ideally more.
- Prices should also make lower highs, bounded by an upper resistance line. They should touch resistance on at least two occasions, and ideally more.
- Support and resistance lines converge towards one another, as the distance between highs and lows becomes noticeably tighter. This suggests that selling pressure is lessening.
A falling wedge pattern has no volume requirements.
Falling wedge trading tips
This pattern is complete once price breakouts convincingly above resistance. The breakout should happen on rising volume, at least 40% above average. Some traders wait for a successful retest before opening a long position. This means waiting for confirmation that resistance now acts as support. For example, you could wait for several daily closes above support to confirm the trend reversal.
MT5 Floating - Market Execution
Trade 70+ currency pairs, indices, energies and metals on floating spreads with market execution. ... MoreTrade 70+ currency pairs, indices, energies and metals on floating spreads with market execution. All EAs are allowed.
Trade CFDs on thousands of markets across Forex, crypto-currencies, stocks, indices and commodities... MoreTrade CFDs on thousands of markets across Forex, crypto-currencies, stocks, indices and commodities, on low spreads. Access free educational content, including 30+ courses and webinars.
- $20 deposit
- 1:100 leverage
- pips EUR/USD
- Regulators: Australia, Belarus, Cyprus (EU), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, UK
Trade 74 currency pairs and CFDs on stocks, oil, metals and crypto with leverage up to 1:500. 4XC ... MoreTrade 74 currency pairs and CFDs on stocks, oil, metals and crypto with leverage up to 1:500. 4XC allows all trading styles and all Expert Advisors on MetaTrader 4 and 5.