Ascending Triangle Pattern
Learn to recognize and trade an ascending triangle pattern through interactive charts.
What is an ascending triangle pattern?
An ascending triangle is a consolidation pattern in an uptrend. It points to accumulation as investors "buy the dip".
- USDJPY Ascending Triangle forex
- USDTRY Ascending Triangle forex
- Tron (TRXUSD) Ascending Triangle crypto
- Gold (GOLD) Ascending Triangle metals
- AMC Entertainment (AMC) Ascending Triangle stocks
- Meta Platforms (META) Ascending Triangle stocks
Ascending triangle duration
This pattern usually lasts between 1 and 3 months, but can unfold over longer periods of time.
Ascending triangle characteristics
An ascending triangle looks like a right-angle triangle.
- This pattern is a consolidation in an uptrend. Look for rising moving averages in the weeks and months preceding the pattern. However, the strength of the uptrend is less important than the soundness of the pattern itself.
- This pattern consists of a resistance line running through 2 or more recent highs, and of an upward-sloping trendline running through 2 or more higher lows.
- It's important that the lows through which the trendline runs rise over time, as this points to accumulation, with investors "buying the dip". The pattern won't be valid otherwise.
Trading volumes usually fall as this pattern takes shape.
Ascending triangle trading tips
Look for a breakout above the resistance line running through recent highs. Some traders wait for a successful retest of that line before opening a long position. It's preferable, but not essential, that the breakout happens on higher volume.
Trade CFDs on 70+ currency pairs, crypto-currencies, commodities and indices with leverage up to 1:... MoreTrade CFDs on 70+ currency pairs, crypto-currencies, commodities and indices with leverage up to 1:500. Get a 100% bonus on your first deposit, up to $2,000.
Trade Forex on floating spreads from 0 pips plus commission on MT4 or MT5. Get started from a low $... MoreTrade Forex on floating spreads from 0 pips plus commission on MT4 or MT5. Get started from a low $50 deposit. Get market execution with no requotes. LiteForex pays 2.5% interest per annum on the balance of your account.
Best Pro Account
Trade CFDs on Forex, crypto-currencies, stocks, indices, metals and energies with dynamic leverage ... MoreTrade CFDs on Forex, crypto-currencies, stocks, indices, metals and energies with dynamic leverage on MT4 or MT5. Low spreads from 0.1 pips, no commission and instant execution. All EAs are allowed.